Summary: The Library Clerk has primary responsibility for the shelving of returned items and maintenance of the library shelves. They have general knowledge of public library functions, policies and procedures, particular knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System and alpha/numeric ordering, and must be proficient at both repetitive clerical tasks and at customer service.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Shelving library returns in proper order
- Keeping library shelves clean and in order
- Basic circulation desk functions, such as checking books in and out, placing reserves, issuing library cards and assisting patrons
- Other similar tasks as directed
- Close attention to detail, well organized, orderly
- Consistent availability on Saturdays
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public and associates
- Readily understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Demonstrate initiative and good judgement
- Competent using current technology
- Constant light to moderate physical effort, including the ability to walk and stand for extended periods, bend, kneel, squat, and reach to put away books, lift boxes weighing up to 30 lbs., use office machines
Reports to: Library Director
Hours: Saturdays, 10 AM – 2 PM. Candidate must be consistently available on Saturdays.
Applications accepted until the job is filled. To apply, send a brief resume and cover letter to Laurie Bell (firstname.lastname@example.org). The resume should include any work history or school achievements and accomplishments, and the cover letter should explain why you are interested in this job.